HOME | ABOUT | CONTACT

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Today I Made it Out of Purgatory

Really the only reason I'm writing this entry is for that title. I'm in a book club with some other book geeks. We started about a year and a half ago on the Breakpoint Great Books List (a list of great books with a Christian worldview).

Everyone is forced to read good books in high school, precisely when you have zero appreciation for them. We thought it would be nice to hold each other accountable to read good books now and enjoy them instead of read them and squelch all the joy out of the process by slaving on a 20 page dissertation about "the role of verticality in the novel" or "the influence of religion in 19th-century Russian literature." I had to write one of those essays in college and believe me, joy squelcher.

One of our most recent books was Dante's The Divine Comedy. The crazy people who made the list assumed you would read all three parts in one month. Might as well have picked the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. I'm just Type A enough that it's been nagging me that I never finished it so I've continued through Inferno, Purgatory and here comes Paradise!

No comments: