HOME | ABOUT | CONTACT

Sunday, December 14, 2008

How To Find Out What You Are Getting For Christmas

I have found that there are two kinds of people in this world: those that like the anticipation and waiting for a big, perfect surprise and those that want to be "surprised" right now. I fall solidly in the latter category and thus, if I know a gift is coming, I will not stop until I figure out what it will be. The flip side is that if I am getting a present for you, I will not stop taunting you until you finally ask and let me tell you what you are getting. This is part of the strong sisterly bond Emily and I share, we've employed some serious guerrilla warfare tactics against our parents "in the past" to help each other discover the contents of wrapped boxes.

So this Christmas, I was having no luck with Erik and had to step it up. I went to bed at midnight once we booted the college students out, then awoke at 3:30 am to take my dear friend Stacey to the airport for her 6:20 am flight out of LAX. Erik advised me to drive the truck but I decided to take the van because it has seat warmers and well, you know, you can't go wrong with a warm rear. Right about the time we hit Sylmar minor noises began beneath the hood and praise God, the gaslight was already on so I decided to exit. On the exit ramp the van lurched, made very loud cursing noises at me and stopped refusing to continue past this less than savory part of town. This was most distressing at 4:10 am on a Sunday, especially as Erik slept through the furiously vibrating cell phone.

Several gentlemen stopped to give us poor damsels advice, now that I know the real problem I know they were all wrong. We called cab companies to try and get Stacey to the airport but apparently they only pick you up if you know where you are. This forced me to walk down the street to a gas station where men apparently hang out, sleep in their cars, and whistle at stranded ladies who made the unfortunate decision to drive their friends to the airport while still wearing their pajamas. It took 3 trips to the gas station before the cab company felt we were truly worth their effort and I ran a bit faster each trip.

Eventually Stacey made it in a cab and was able to then catch another flight. The tow truck driver arrived and we discovered that I no longer have a transmission. The reverse gear was still working and I briefly pondered the awesome urban legend I could create by making the 50 mile trek home backwards. We left my van in front of Denny's and again I dreamt of someone graciously just stealing the thing. My knight arrived, rescued me and lauded my not having a full tilt hissy fit in the midst of my trials. I had seriously considered it at one point then quickly asked myself, "In the light of eternity, is this really such a big deal?" In the moment, the answer seemed to be "Yes!" but I have been trained well and was able to remind myself that it was not.

I arrived safely home and Erik was able to borrow a trailer. My sad little van is currently residing in the church parking lot and, my evil plan worked, I have been able to discern that I will be receiving a transmission for Christmas. Watch and learn people! I had a little nervous energy left when we got home. Some people are nervous eaters, I am a nervous cleaner. I now have deep cleaned all the carpet in the house, finished the dishes and laundry as well as reorganized the kids' closet.

We are definitely looking forward to a more relaxing day tomorrow. Please pray for Miss Libby as she is croupy and will be visiting the doctor. Oh, Erik, Jakey and I will be traveling to China for a little over 2 weeks. We leave in 3 and a half weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it seems you have truly mastered an art my friend! And you cleaned?...so proud!

G-Unit said...

Umm...Missy...how does this stuff happen to you guys?

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was some crazy adventure!

shelli said...

China??? What??? That's awesome!